Severe service reductions on Orange and Silver Lines begin today with SafeTrack Surge 11, directly affecting commuters in Arlington until December 21. This safety surge brings single tracking between West Falls Church and East Falls Church due to work on the lines as well as the platform, permitting use of only one platform at a time. Riders are encouraged to take alternative travel options as overcrowded platforms and trains are expected.
Surge 11 Details
- Single tracking between West Falls Church and East Falls Church
- Severe service reductions for all Orange and Silver Line trains
- Orange Line trains will run every 20 minutes between Vienna and New Carrollton
- Silver Line trains will run every 20 minutes between Wiehle-Reston East and Largo Town Center
Alternative Travel Options
Limited free weekday Metrobus shuttles
There will be free Metrobus shuttles available during weekday rush hour:
- Ballston > Virginia Square > Clarendon > Courthouse > Rosslyn (every 10 minutes)
- Ballston > Virginia Square > Clarendon > Pentagon (every 15-20 minutes)
- Metrobus 1AB (Vienna > Dunn Loring > Ballston)
- Metrobus 2A (Dunn Loring > East Falls Church > Ballston)
- Metrobus 3Y (East Falls Church > Rosslyn > McPherson Square)
- Metrobus 5A (L’Enfant Plaza > Rosslyn > Dulles Airport)
- Metrobus 15KL (East Falls Church > Rosslyn)
- Metrobus 38B (Ballston > Rosslyn > Farragut West/North)
- ART 55 (East Falls Church > Rosslyn)
- Fairfax Connector Express (Vienna > Pentagon)
- Fairfax Connector 599 (Reston > Pentagon)
Biking to work is an option for you if you're looking to have a healthier lifestyle by tackling a workout while on your commute. The cold doesn't have to deter you from biking if you prepare ahead of time - see a first-hand account of biking in the cold and how you should prepare. With the evenings darker sooner, bike lights and reflectors are a must along with other safety precautions.
Join a Vanpool
If you haven't joined a vanpool yet, right now is a good time to sign up. Vanpool riders can use their transit benefit of up to $255/month, as defined by the IRS, to cover costs for maintaining the vanpool.
Photo Credit: Sam Kittner/Kittner.com