Have you ever been in Crystal City on a Tuesday night and been fortunate enough to stumble upon the many vendors selling fresh produce at the FRESHFARMS Farmers Market? Do you get out for a run on Fridays with the Crystal City 5k Fridays? These events and many more occur thanks to the friendly and hardworking staff down at Crystal City BID.
Crystal City BID is a public/private partnership in Crystal City that works to promote, develop and maintain the urban village. They were also one of the 31 original companies that participated in our pilot Workplace Commuter Champions program in 2013, and upgraded to a Gold Level Champion in our 2014 program.
Crystal City BID works tirelessly to bring great events, art and infrastructure to Crystal City. You may notice all the bright colors they have instated in the past few years throughout the area. From multi-colored murals outside along the walls to the multitude of art running along the often traversed Crystal City Underground.
The great thing for you and me, it is super simple to make your way out to Crystal City! Crystal City BID is an avid supporter of alternative transportation with most of their office opting to bike to work on a daily basis (which happens to be quite an easy task due to the proximity to the Mt. Vernon Trail, multiple Capital Bikeshare stations and bike lanes on nearly every major road).
So get out there and enjoy Crystal City. Find out for yourself why we're smitten with this BID!
How to get to Crystal City
Travel on the Blue or Yellow Lines to the Crystal City Metro Station. The Metro Station is conveniently located one block away from Crystal Drive, the main road in Crystal City.
Plenty of buses travel to, from and through Crystal City throughout the day. If you happen to be coming to the area during rush hour periods, make sure to check out the ART 43, which offers the most direct route to Crystal City from Rosslyn and Courthouse.
Crystal City’s proximity to the Mt. Vernon Trail makes it a great destination after a leisurely ride along the Potomac. There are also plenty of bike lanes on major streets and more than a dozen Capital Bikeshare stations at your fingertips.
Events to Enjoy Courtesy of Crystal City BID
- Wine in the Water Park offers attendees an outdoor venue to sip on great wines while enjoying the great atmosphere offered by the Crystal City Waterpark.
- Crystal Screens brings great films to a courtyard in Crystal City for everyone to enjoy during the summer. Enjoy a movie outside with your friends, or maybe even meet someone new!
- Morning Yoga occurs every Monday for those looking for a way to start their day out right. Ease your mind and prepare for the day!
- Crystal Couture is a yearly fashion show in Crystal City that utilizes empty or underused spaces to bring together dozens of local boutiques and fashion experts. You can come to witness the hit trends in fashion or purchase some new items at deep discounts! Check out our very own Maggie Awad, Marketing Manager, trying on a restycled dress at this year's event.
- Art Walls is a program first established in 2008 to bring color and creativity to Crystal City. You will see the many pieces lining corridors, streets, and the underground.
- Bicycle friendly area with all the trails, bike lanes, and amenities one needs to leave the car at home and explore Crystal City on two wheels. One great example is the Fixtation which can be used in by cyclists for quick repairs and pumping up their tires.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons to visit Crystal City. What will you choose and how will you get there?
Leave me a comment and let me know your favorite Crystal City event or moment!