Phases of the Inside the Beltway project are slated to take place over the next 22 years—until 2040. For the duration of this time there are several projects supported by different funding avenues.
The Commonwealth of Virginia committed $10 million to fund the first 10 multimodal projects operational when tolling begins and Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) selected the 10 improvements that will take place on I-66. Localities and transit agencies will implement the following:
- Fairfax Connector Express Service from Government to State Department/ Foggy Bottom
- Loudoun County Stone Ridge Enhancement Transit
- Peak Period Service Expansion to Metrobus Route 2A, Washington Boulevard-Dunn Loring
- Metrobus Route 3T Extension and Service Expansion
- PRTC Gainesville to Pentagon Commuter Service
- Loudoun County Transportation Demand Management
- Expanded Transit Access, through Capital Bikeshare
- Bus Stop Consolidation and Accessibility Improvements
- Peak Period Service Expansion to ART Bus Route 55
- Expanded TDM Outreach to the I-66 Corridor
- Multimodal Real-Time Transportation Information Screens
These are the projects as identified by NVTC as priorities within the Transform66 Inside the Beltway project and they are components of a larger 40-year agreement between the cities, counties, as well as the transit agencies in the region. Over the next few years, there will be additional projects added to the above list.
While you may not see the immediate effect of these projects, they were chosen based on the ability to positively impact the region through its next phase of growth. Some may require construction along the corridor, while others mean having more information readily available to help you choose your best option. Either way, the goal of the overarching project is to move more people through the corridor in a more efficient manner.
In the Meantime
We understand that new construction and ongoing improvements can hinder your daily commute. However, we’re here to help you avoid inconvenience and enable your employees and residents to enjoy a stress-free commute.
Did you know that HOV2+ travel for free on I-66 during peak hours? That’s not the only way to avoid the tolls. Commuters can choose from a variety of transit options available on I-66 to ride for free or bypass the construction projects. We can help your employees and residents plan their commute ahead of time. Download custom Commute66 Quick Glances or contact us for more information.
Photo Credit: Sam Kittner/Kittner.com for Arlington Transportation Partners